Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Series Painting #6: In Progress

I begin yet again with a loose projected sketch.


  I add the darkest values first and emphasize important shapes in the face.
Next I paint in middle values and then highlights. I do this quickly and loosely.

I start painting in the body so that those shapes will inform my approach to the head and bring the figure together. I realize that the torso is a little too big compared to the source photo. 

I thin out the torso and reshape the head accordingly. Layers of gel medium increase the saturation of paint in the face and allow me to smooth out details.  

I continue to add subjective color and focus on the shapes That make up the figure.
 With Wayne Thiebaud in mind, I thicken up the paint aground the figure a little more and it a colorful line around the edges of shadows. I will continue to refine this painting and clean up all edges. the white space surrounding the figure will be thickened up drastically to match my previous entries in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment