Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Series Painting #1: In progress

Initial sketch is laid out for the painting on a 30"x40" canvas.

I quickly start laying down color.I work off information provided by the sketch to get the right shapes. Now I refer to the reference photo again to process information about highlights, shadows, and tonal shifts. I tryvro think about the subject-a tattoos as shapes rather than symbols. This way I don't paint what I think I see/ know, only the shapes and lines as they are presented at that moment in the photo.  

More of the painting gets roughed in. I add more shocks of color to emphasize my own style and some of the characteristics I admire about Wayne Thiebaud's technique. I apply modeling paste to the white space around my subject. This will make my applications of white paint appear thicker and creamer. Another layer of acrylic gel medium will further saturate color and thicken paint.

This painting isn't finished yet. I will continue working on this piece As I begin sketches for my next in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment