Saturday, September 3, 2016

Series Painting #2: In progress

For my second painting in the series, I start with a very rudimentary pencil sketch of the subject to get a basic idea of where features should go.

I start to define the shapes of the face by blocking in some of the darkest tones. Basic highlights are suggested, but they will be refined later. 



The process of layering values over the face begins to really saturate the canvas and thicken the paint. Features of the face get more refined in relation to the source photo. I begin to add more subjective color as well as thick white paint around the subject's head.

I begin to work my way down the previously projected sketch of the body, again referring to my source photo. Basic blocks of color are put down to remind me up important lines in the sketch.
I continue to put down more basic color patterns and begin to saturate the canvas in these areas. The ground is placed beneath him.


I will continue to work on this painting over the weekend and post more updates along the way. :)

*UPDATE*

I went on to add more detail to the figure's pants, shirt, and couch. Thick gel medium is applied around the figure and painted over with white.

More detail is added, as well as more shadow. I apply a thin wash of forest green paint to push back the figure in space. This painting is still not finished, but it is most definitely getting closer.




No comments:

Post a Comment