Monday, September 12, 2016

Series Painting #3: In progress

For this painting, I had to composite two pictures together digitally. I took the face from one photo sent to me and composited it onto the body of another pic of the subject.  I projected the image on canvas and loosely sketch it on with a pencil. Adjustments will be made later.

Using my composited photo as reference, I begin with painting the face as usual. I start out painting loose, keeping in mind some of the dark the darkest points (shadows, core shadows, pupils, etc) and basic shapes. I will continue to add paint and refine from this stage.   

After lots of refinement, I start to get more of a likeness. I now begin paying down color for the body, once again considering darkest points first and highlights last. A black and white plane is laid out under the subject that matches the same height as the other two paintings (8 inches up from the bottom of the canvas). I will further refine this surface in all the paintings so that it matches better. 

This painting is still in progress. I will continue to refine shapes, improve the blending of shadows to highlights, build up white paint around the subject, and add more subjective color. 
UPDATE: Here is the painting as of now, October 25th. I soften the features and increase the likeness. More details are added to the body and thick gel medium and modeling paste is applied to the area surrounding the figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment