Thursday, September 29, 2016

Series Painting #4: In Progress

I begin my fourth painting in the series with a projected sketch. This is a very simple outline I will build off of using the source photo as reference.

I begin to lay down some paint loosely. In this stage I get a feel for basic shapes, shadows, and highlights in the face.

I continue the same process as above. I refine the details with much closer attention from this point.

I lay down paint for the chair and other parts of the body. This is all very quick and loose. I will add  the tattoos next.

When referring back to the photo, I notice how much I have to subtract a lot from the loose rendering of the face thus far. I refine the details of the face with careful attention. Now that I've started to refine the face and tattoos, I start to pay more attention to the thickness of paint surrounding my figure. I build that thickness using the gel medium and modeling paste I discussed in my technical study. After these layers of gel and paste dry, I apply more white paint around the figure to eliminate that yellowing.

I continue to increase the detail and subjective color in this painting. I will keep working on this piece as I begin my next in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment